How to Change and Charge a Backup Battery in Alarm System
You might already know that maybe every 2, 3, 4, or 5 years, your alarm panel will tell you when the battery is low, has trouble, and need to be replaced with the alarm backup battery. Therefore, in this blog, we will tell you how to remove the battery and replace it with your 12V 7Ah rechargeable alarm backup battery. At the end of this blog, you will also know how to charge your empty battery. How cool is it?
Apparently, it is not that complicated as you ever think. It is very easy and we will cover a step-by-step on how you can replace the alarm battery in a very complete step. Just so you know, in this article we are using Bosch Solution 3000 Kit and Aus Cell 12V7Ah Alarm Battery. Let’s get into it.
How to Replace Your Alarm Battery
- Make sure you are facing and ready to open up the complete kit of the Bosch alarm system.
- Using your panel box key, open the front cover of the alarm panel. If there is no key, you will need to remove the screws on whichever side of your panel box.
- Once you have removed the screws, carefully open the cover towards you.
- Now you will see there are lots of wires and scary-looking bits, but it’s all very straightforward the big black thing at the bottom of the alarm panel box is the battery.
- You will see there is a red and a black wire on the battery.
- Remove the red and black battery leads that are attached to the battery.
- Then take out the battery from the panel box.
- Place the new or your backup battery on the panel box and attach the leads to the new battery.
- Of course, it is very important that Red goes to Red and Black goes to Black. Because you don’t want that there’s a problem like no sirens, nothing like that. Very straightforward.
- Well, now you have a fresh battery in there. The next thing to do will get to go to the alarm panel and turn the alarm on and then off again to clear the fault that would have been displayed indicating the battery was low.
- Once everything is indicated that it is on, close the cover and put back the screws or simply lock if you are using a key. Just the reverse of what we did before and you are good to go.
- Charge your empty battery for 24 hours.
- It is best practice to test your alarm system while it is still in test mode.
How to Charge Your Alarm Backup Battery
Because most of the security alarm uses a power supply to get the electricity, the alarm battery recharge by itself. The battery is used to prevent the alarm system goes off when there is a power outage. Once the power has turned on, the battery will begin to charge by itself for future usage. This is called a trickle charging mechanism. Trickle charging is a method of charging a battery at a slow rate to keep it fully charged. Lead-acid batteries last longer than lithium-ion batteries, which must be recharged on a regular basis and require an adaptor.